ingredients for 4
about 1 tablespoon cooking oil
~350g or 2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into large chunks
1½ green peppers, diced
1 large onion, diced
420ml chicken stock
small tin (about 4 rings) sliced pineapple, cut into chunks
3 teaspoons cornflour, mixed to paste with pineapple juice from above
4 teaspoons tomato ketchup
3 teaspoons curry powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large or 2 small bananas, peeled and cut into slices
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok, and fry the chicken until coloured on all sides.
- Add the onion and peppers, and continue to fry for a few minutes until the onion is starting to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the banana.
- Stir well and bring to a boil
- Transfer to an oven-proof casserole dish, cover, and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the sliced banana, and serve with rice.
- Can be frozen, but banana can go a bit squishy and sauce may separate a little on reheating – still tastes lovely, though!
- Yes, that says tomato ketchup in the ingredients: it’s a common ingredient in countries where tomatoes are expensive, and comes with an added sweetness.
- If you don’t already have a pair of kitchen scissors, you should get some! Easiest way to turn pineapple rings into chunks – if you didn’t buy chunks in the first place 😉