ingredients for 2
1-2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into large chunks
flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, to coat chicken
2-3 plums, washed, de-stoned and roughly chopped
½ onion, finely diced
½ inch garlic puree
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon ground ginger
generous squeeze of lemon juice
sprinkle of chilli or chilli flakes, to taste
½ cup fruit juice e.g. orange
- Coat the chicken in the seasoned flour – easiest way is to add all the non-sauce ingredients to a bag, and shake well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan big enough to take all the chicken comfortably. Fry the chicken until coloured on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic, and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients, stirring well.
- Continue to cook for ~20 minutes, until the chicken is well cooked through and the plums have broken down.
- Serve with rice and vegetables of your choice.
- Flouring the chicken isn’t necessary, but does add something a little different texture-wise, plus the flour helps thicken the sauce.
- This is a recipe that well suits altering to suit tastes: more ginger or chilli if you want a bit more heat; more honey if you like it sweeter.
- Different flavours can be achieved using different fruit juices – I’ve tried apple, orange, and tropical, all to subtly different but equally nice effect.