ingredients for ~6 portions (freezable)
2 onions, diced
1 teaspoon oil – suggest rapeseed, or as preferred
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or ~3 inches garlic puree)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped, or ¼ teaspoon ground
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes, plus a little chilli powder (to taste)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
200g red lentils
1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
1 tin (350g) coconut milk (light works fine)
vegetable stock cube or stock pot
5 or 6 blocks of frozen spinach
salt and pepper, to taste
juice of 1-2 lemons
- In a large pan, soften the onion and garlic in a little oil until the onions are starting to softening.
- Add the rest of the spices and heat through, about 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, tomato, coconut milk, stock, water, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes before adding the spinach.
- Simmer for a further 5 or so minutes, until the liquid is gone and the mixture has thickened – keeping in mind that it will probably thicken a little more again overnight in the fridge.
- Add the lemon juice and stir well.
Suggested serving: with naan bread, over roasted vegetables (aubergine works well).