ingredients for 4
oil/low fat cooking spray
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
200g broccoli florets
225g basmati rice
1 teaspoon garlic puree
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
750ml vegetable stock
1 cinnamon stick, or a little ground cinnamon
400g can chickpeas, drained
juice of half a lemon
- Fry the onions and garlic until softened.
- Add the peppers, rice, turmeric, coriander and ginger; stir-fry then add the stock and cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil, the reduce to a simmer for ~10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and broccoli, and simmer for another ~10-15 minutes until the rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, if used. Add the lemon juice and stir through.
I’m still refining the instructions for this one, as it’s a balancing act between getting the rice cooked and the veggies tender but not mushy!
I also feel like I’ve cheated a bit with the ‘recipe for 4’ – I’ve only ever made single portions, which have very much been rough estimates of a quarter of everything (apart from chickpeas – almost always have double the amount of chickpeas!)