ingredients for ~6 (freezable)
1 large onion, diced
2 peppers, diced
1 large sweet potato, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed, or 1-2 inches of garlic puree
2 tins chopped tomatoes (~750g)
¼ teaspoon celery salt
1½ teaspoons hot chilli powder, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1½ teaspoons paprika (smoked, if prefered)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tins beans – mixed, or e.g. kidney and black beans
1 tin water
vegetable stock cube or stock pot
splash of tabasco, to taste
dash of lime juice
- In a large pan, soften the onion and garlic in a little oil until the onions are starting to softening.
- Add the peppers and sweet potato, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add spices and stir to coat.
- Add the remaining ingredients (tomato, stock, tabasco), and stir well.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until veg is soft.
- The ‘trick’ to make this feel really thick and luxurious is to use an immersion (stick) blender, and blitz ~a third of the mix. Stir through, and serve.
Suggested serving: with tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese.