ingredients for 4 (freezable)
1 large onion, chopped
a little oil for frying
500g (2-3 large) carrots, diced
2 teaspoons dried thyme
200ml (7fl oz) red wine
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 vegetable stock cubes
75g dried green lentils
25g dried red lentils
950g (2lb 2oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
grated cheese e.g. cheddar, to sprinkle on top
freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and soften the onion.
- Add the remaining base ingredients (i.e. everything except the sweet potatoes), bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the carrots are tender but still have a slight firmness to bite into.
- For the topping, boil the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes, and mash.
- Transfer the lentil mixture into an oven dish. Smooth the mashed sweet potato on top, and sprinkle with the cheese and black pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 190C/170C (fan)/Gas mark 5 for 20 minutes.
- The whole pie can be frozen, or refrigerated for up to 2 days. Increase the oven time to 40 minutes if cooking from cold.
- Alternatively, the base can be frozen and then defrosted and topped with the sweet potato mash.
- The secret to making this a heartier meal is to ensure that your carrots retain a little firmness and aren’t cooked to mush.
- If desired, you can add butter to the sweet potato mash to make it a little richer. However, I find the sweetness and addition of the cheese makes a perfect topping as it is.