Makes one generous portion:
¼ white onion, diced
½ head of celery, trimmed and finely sliced
2 baby potatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
150ml vegetable or chicken stock
½ teaspoon butter
½ teaspoon flour
quarter inch garlic puree
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Gently melt the butter in your pan, add the flour and stir to a smooth paste – i.e. a roux. Be careful not to burn anything.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and quickly turn the heat down to simmer for 20 or so minutes, or until the potato is cooked.
- Allow to cool a little (for safety!) before blending to a smooth consistency.
- Serve hot, with crusty bread.