1 tablespoon (sunflower) oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
12 curry leaves
½ teaspoon turmeric
2¼ pints chicken stock
100g green lentils
100g red lentils
227g can chopped tomatoes
100g cooked chicken, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon natural yogurt
half a handful chopped coriander
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and curry leaves, then fry for a minute or so until fragrant.
- Tip in the cumin, coriander and tumeric, and stir around in the heat of the pan. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the green lentils, lower the heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the red lentils and simmer for 15 minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Tip in the tomatoes and chicken, and briefly heat through.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of the yogurt and half the coriander; check seasoning to taste.