Makes ~4 portions:
1 onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, or 1-2 inches puree
2 carrots, diced
200g butternut squash, peeled and deseeded, diceda little olive oil
1½ teaspoons paprika
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
200g red lentils
1 litre vegetable stock
- In a large saucepan, heat some oil and fry the onion, garlic and spices until softened. Top tip: cooking them over a lower heat for longer will add a great flavour to the soup.
- Add the carrot and squash and coat in the mixture, stirring for a minute or so.
- Add the lentils, again stirring to coat.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil , then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check that the veg and lentils are soft.
- Allow to cool slightly before blending to a smooth, creamy consistency.