Makes ~3 portions:
½ onion, diced
3 parsnips, diced
¼ teaspoon ginger powder, or equivalent in puree/fresh
1½ teaspoons garam masala
1 inch garlic puree
400ml vegetable stock
a little olive oil
a little butter (optional)
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil and butter, and fry the onion and spices until softened. Top tip: cooking them over a lower heat for longer will add a great flavour to the soup.
- Add the parsnip and coat in the mixture, stirring for a minute or so.
- Add the stock, milk, and seasoning, bring to the boil , then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check that the parsnip is soft.
- Blend to a smooth consistency and serve hot.