makes 14 bars
50g dried apricots, chopped
60g mixed seeds (I used sunflower and pumpkin)
1 tablespoon golden linseeds
25g ground almonds
2 ripe bananas (medium-sized)
3 tablespoons clear honey
- Mix the dried ingredients
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat, with the honey
- Pour the mixture into the dried ingredients
- Mash the banana (I suggest mashing it in the saucepan – ‘cleans up’ the butter and saves washing up another bowl!)
- Mix everything well to combine, and then spoon into a lined (rectangular) cake tin. Firm down well with the back of the spoon
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180C until golden brown
- Leave to cool before cutting into bar form
I’ve been unsuccessful in breaking my cereal-bar habit, so I figured it was time to try making my own. These are pretty good, quite soft with a definitely banana taste. Certainly a good base to experiment with – sultanas or other fruit, for instance.
The downside: makes 14 bars, lasts in an airtight container for 3 days. Hah…! So, going to try freezing half the batch.