ingredients for 14 generous portions
100g golden caster sugar
250g dark muscovado sugar
100g chopped mixed nuts, eg pecans, hazelnuts and brazil nuts
1 large egg
225g plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
300g rhubarb, chopped into ~1cm pieces
280ml sour cream
half a teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C.
- Line a baking tin (~33 x 23 x 5cm) with greaseproof paper.
- In one bowl, melt 15g of the butter and mix with the caster sugar, nuts and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, cream together the remaining butter and the muscovado sugar.
- Beat in the egg until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and soured cream, mixing well before stirring in the rhubarb.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tin.
- Sprinkle the nut mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes; a skewer should come out clean.
- keeps in an airtight container for up to 5 days.